1 2 3 T
San Jose Sharks SJS 0 1 1 2
37 SHOTS 24
28 HITS 19
6 PIM 6
0/2 PP 0/2


Wednesday, 06.08.2014 / 4:52 AM

The road woes may have followed the Winnipeg Jets back to Winnipeg tonight as they suffered their fourth loss in their last five games. Tonight, it was the San Jose Sharks who had the last laugh as they left the winter city with a 2-0 victory over the Jets.

Things were fairly even through the first period and were scoreless up until 13:36 of the second period when All-Star Logan Couture put one past Pavelec to make it 1-0. Brad Winchester added some insurance just over two minutes into the third period and the Sharks were able to shut the door and keep the lead through the final frame.

The Jets struggled on the shot clock especially in the third as they only managed to tally six shots on net to the Sharks 14.

The Jets won't have much time to waste before they take on the New Jersey Devils on Saturday afternoon at the MTS Centre. Puck drops on that one at 2:00 pm.


Sharks Brad Winchester took the game's first penalty at 2:29 of the first giving the Jets power play unit an early crack at a lead. The special team banged away down low trying to convert on the man-advantage but were unable to put up a tally on the board.

Through twenty minutes of play, the game was scoreless. The Sharks led the Jets 14-10 on the shot clock and in hits 12-7.


The Sharks took the first bite out of the game at 13:36 of the second period as All-Star representive Logan Couture riffled one past Pavelec from the slot. Brent Burns raced across the blueline on the left wing, squeezed past his defender Ron Hainsey and flipped the puck into the slot for Couture to finish the play. 1-0 Sharks.

After two periods in the books, the visiting Sharks were up 23-18 in shots and 1-0 on the scoreboard.


Winchester added to the lead at 2:33 of the third period for the Sharks. Andrew Desjardins took a sharp angle shot from the goal line that looked like it hit Mark Stuarts foot and made an unlucky bounce over to Winchester in front of Pavelec with a wide-open net. He made no mistake burying the puck to make it 2-0.

Moments later, Pavelec was forced to make a huge diving save on Torrey Mitchell. He was down sprawled out on the ice after making a key save when Mitchell tried to go upstairs on the rebound shot. He got up just in time and dove across the net to get the paddle of his stick on the puck headed straight for the back of the net.

The Jets continued to struggle in the shots department well into the third period as they only managed to collect four shots through 15 minutes of the final frame. The Sharks played on that weakness and tallied 12 shots in the same amount of time and held on tight to the two goal lead.

Time would expire on the game and the Jets just could not solve Antti Niemi tonight. Final shots were 37-24 in favour of the Sharks.

Winnipeg will have to take the 2-0 loss to the Sharks and move on to face the New Jersey Devils on Saturday afternoon.
Back to top ↑