1 2 3 SO T
Winnipeg Jets WPG 0 1 0 1 (1-3) 2
24 SHOTS 28
27 HITS 33
7 PIM 11
0/3 PP 1/1

Jets 2, Flyers 1- SO

Wednesday, 06.08.2014 / 4:52 AM


Well, knowing that the first two games that these teams played this season had ten or more goals, the chances of that happening tonight, would be a pretty huge surprise. It took just over ten minutes of the first period for either team to register a shot on net. Blake Wheeler finally got the puck into Ilya Bryzgalov's glove to tally a shot on the board. The game wasn't slow, just uneventful through the first half.

Jaromir Jagr took the game's first penalty of the night at 11:04 for tripping, putting the Jets power play unit to work. Unfortunately, they couldn't convert on the advantage.

The Flyers drew first blood on a power play of their own as Brayden Schenn shoveled the puck across the goal line with Pavelec laying down in the crease. He stopped the initial shot, and laid down and tried to keep the puck under him but Schenn nudged it free. 15:11 was the time of the goal from Jagr and Matt Carle. 1-0 Flyers, was the score after one period of play. Shots read 7-6 Jets.


Chris Thorburn finally ended his 59-game scoring slump at 2:06 of the second period! Hainsey dished the puck to Antropov breaking into the Flyers zone, he slid a nice pass to an open Thorburn at the top of the circle. He wound up and fired a rifle that flew over Bryzgalov's shoulder up into the top-shelf. A beautiful first goal of the season for Thorburn.

That's as much action as we'd see in the second period, as the game remained tied, 1-1, after 40 minutes of play. The Jets were still on top of the shot clock, 16-13. The end to end action in the second half of the period set up for an exciting third.


At 11:43 into the final period, the lone goal scorer, Chris Thorburn dropped the gloves with Tom Sestito trying to spark the momentum for his team. Each went to the penalty box for five minutes.

Shots flipped to the favour of the Flyers as they led the Jets 23-19 with 7:00 left in regulation. The score still knotted at one.

The Flyers took a costly late penalty at 15:42 for having too many men on the ice, sending the Jets to the power play. But yet again, the power play expired and we were back to five on five- still tied.

60 minutes would not be enough as the game was still tied after regulation. Even after 65 minutes we were tied which took us to a shootout.

Bryan Little net the game winner as he was the third and final shooter as Pavelec stopped both Flyers chances.

The Jets take the hard earned two points in Philadelphia and move on to Tampa Bay on Thursday night.
Back to top ↑