1 2 3 T
Philadelphia Flyers PHI 2 0 1 3
23 SHOTS 26
26 HITS 19
11 PIM 23
1/4 PP 0/3

Final: Jets 2, Flyers 3

Wednesday, 06.08.2014 / 4:52 AM

Captain Andrew Ladd scored twice on Ilya Bryzgalov tonight but it wasn't enough as his team fell to a 3-2 final at the hands of the Philadelphia Flyers Tuesday night.

Al Montoya got the start tonight and played 40 minutes however was injured late in the second period and Ondrej Pavelec came in to start the third. Montoya stopped 10 of the 12 shots he saw while Pavalec stopped 10 of his 11. On the other end Bryzgalov had a very strong night turning aside 24 shots.

The Jets walk away from this one a little bit frustrated as they had several chances but just were not getting the lucky bounces and were unable to solve Bryzgalov. They will have one day off before they are right back at it against the visiting Pittsburgh Penguins Friday night. Game time is 6pm.


The Jets started fast and furious as they created a glorious chance just 30 seconds into the game. Andrew Ladd got the puck in deep and Bryan Little scooped it up and got a got shot on Bryzgalov but he acted quickly and turned it aside.

Anthony Peluso, making his debut as a Jet, took the game's first penalty just 3:42 into the first period for holding. The Jets PK unit was able to kill off the two minutes but the Flyers Brayden Schenn were able to get on the scoreboard first at 8:07. Jakub Voreacek snapped the puck on net that just didn't make it all the way through. Instead, Braydon Coburn and Brayden Schenn both tapped at it in the crease, Schenn was able to connect and put it past Montoya. 1-0 Flyers.

Captain Ladd answered back for the Jets with his fifth of the season at 14:12 of the period. Blake Wheeler made a beautiful back-hand pass from along the boards right to Ladd in the slot, who made no mistake lifting the puck up into the back of the net. 1-1.

Kimmo Timonen made it 2-1 on the power play at 17:08 as he blasted a slap shot through traffic from the point that found it's way over Montoya's shoulder and into the net.

Shots through 20 minutes were 9-6 Jets.


Just over the five minute mark of the middle frame, Mark Stuart and Tye McGinn dropped the gloves trying to get the crowd back in to the game. The fight took place seconds after a Flyer ran Montoya over and no call was made.

Later, at 12:51, Peluso took a charging penalty after a huge hit on Zac Rinaldo along the boards. Jets went back to the PK but were able to successfully kill it off and back to 5-on-5 they went.

The Jets' best chance to tie things up was in the last 90 seconds of the period, which was played pretty much completely in the Flyers zone. They peppered Bryzgaloz with shots from all angles but he shut the door on every one including a robbery on Evander Kane. In what looked like a long power play, the Jets just couldn't solve Bryzgalov and they went to the dressing room still down 2-1.

Shots after two periods were 19-12 Jets.


The Jets made a goaltender move to start the third period as Ondrej Pavelec made his way to the net.

Tye McGinn made it 3-1 on a redirect from Voracek's shot from the top of the circle. McGinn was parked in the crease right in front of Pavelec to connect with a lucky tip in.

Winnipeg had two power play opportunities in the second half of the third period but were not able to get anything going and could not find a way past Bryzgalov. With four minutes to play, the Jets still trailed 3-1.

With 46 seconds to play in regulation, Ladd got the Jets within one. Kane sent him a nice feed in front, he took the pass on his foot and kicked it to his stick to make a quick snap that flew past Bryzgalov.

Despite Ladd's late attempt to claw back into the game, it would not be enough as time expired and the Jets fell to a final 3-2 score to the Flyers.

Back to top ↑