What is the Winnipeg Jets True North Foundation?
The Winnipeg Jets True North Foundation is the charitable arm of the Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club and ‘charity of choice’ for the MTS Centre. The organization was established in October of 1996 as the Manitoba Moose Yearling Foundation, allowing Moose players, staff and community, to contribute to the Manitoba community in an intentional and centralized manner. The capacity of the Foundation expanded in 2004, with the opening the MTS Centre, and as True North Sports & Entertainment became the parent company of the Manitoba Moose and MTS Centre. With the acquisition of an NHL franchise in spring, 2011, the Foundation has been renamed the Winnipeg Jets True North Foundation, tasked with the responsibility and privilege of continuing financial, volunteer and programming support for the community in which we work and play – on a larger stage and with corresponding desire have a larger positive impact on our community.
What is the purpose of the Winnipeg Jets True North Foundation?
The purpose of the Winnipeg Jets True North Foundation is to strengthen and broaden the base of the Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club’s involvement in the community. In addition to offering volunteer support, the Foundation pursues this mandate by raising funds and disbursing them to local, registered charitable organizations in the Province of Manitoba who provide programs and/or initiatives for children/youth.
How is the Winnipeg Jets True North Foundation managed?
The Winnipeg Jets True North Foundation is a separate legal entity, managed and governed by a volunteer board of directors. The board is responsible, independent of the hockey club, for making all grant funding decisions. To support the board, the Foundation employs three staff members, focused on fundraising, programs and disbursement activities.
Who is eligible to apply for funding?
- Organizations applying for funding MUST have charitable status and be operating in Manitoba (and must provide charitable registration number as proof of organization status);
- The Winnipeg Jets True North Foundation focus their funding on three areas:
- Health and Wellness
- Education and Character Building
- Underserved Populations
- The Winnipeg Jets True North Foundation will fund both Capital Projects as well as Operational Funding;
- Funds provided by the Foundation must be utilized in the Province of Manitoba only;
- Foundation grants MUST go toward specific projects and/or operating expenses, not salaries;
- The Winnipeg Jets True North Foundation has a priority to fund youth related activities and projects;
- The Foundation reserves the right to request proof of execution concerning the approved funds;
- Successful organizations must be available for a site visit upon request;
- Please note organizations will only receive funding for three consecutive years then must wait a year prior to re-application.
The Winnipeg Jets True North Foundation grants have ranged from $1,000 to $50,000 per year, depending on the funds available for distribution
Please note that the grant application deadline was February 15, 2012. We will no longer be accepting applications at this time. The 2012-2013 grant application process will begin in Fall of 2012. Please check back at that time.